Bayimba International Festival of the Arts
During the third week of September, Kampala comes alive as a vibrant and eventful city when an unparalleled feast of music, dance, theatre, film, and visual arts from renowned and upcoming artists are brought to Kampala. The 10th edition of the Bayimba International Festival of the Arts is scheduled for 22nd to 24th September 2017 at the National Theatre in the city centre of Kampala.
The Bayimba International Festival has developed into a major multi-arts festival with varied and qualitative programming, presenting exciting, innovative and creative ideas. It is eagerly awaited by locals while artists and visitors from abroad pour into Kampala to take advantage of the exciting artistic experience. The festival has truly become a highlight on Uganda’s social and cultural calendar and is also gradually developing into an important (East) African destination festival, ensuring regional and international visitation and enhancing both national and international cultural tourism.
“Connecting the performing arts industry in East Africa”
DOADOA is designed as a one-week event that provides a platform for professional networking and joint learning, bringing together various stakeholders and link people, organizations, businesses, knowledge and technology with a view to create demand and develop a market for the performing arts and unlock the potential of the East African creative industry. Stakeholders in the East African performing arts industry (i.e. musicians, music producers, dancers, theatre producers, promoters, managers, festivals etc.) are invited to stimulate exchange, encounters, networking and mutual learning while international experts, trainers and festival scouts are present and provide an additional dimension to DOADOA and promote the East African performing arts industry beyond its confined borders.
DOADOA provides an excellent basis to build upon, join forces and connect across the region and (further) develop the market for East African creative goods and services. More specifically, DOADOA aims to:
– Develop and strengthen networks between (performing) artists, arts promoters, production houses and other professionals of the creative industry within the region;
– Professionalize artists, arts initiatives and industry professionals to meet new regional and international challenges through seminars, training workshops and skills exchanges with (international) professionals;
– Enable East African creative entrepreneurs to receive exposure and find news markets within the region and internationally.
– A platform for professionals and those that seek a career in performing arts to showcase and promote themselves;
– Presentations, panel discussions, training workshops, speed dating sessions held for participating professionals and those that seek a career in performing arts;
– Local and international professionals and experts invited to exchange ideas and create networks;
– Access to planned performances and showcases.
– A gradual growth in the identification and exposure of East Africa’s performing arts within and beyond the region;
– Further development of skills and in creative entrepreneurship and arts marketing;
– A strong network of performing arts professionals within the region;
– An increased export and participation of East Africa’s performing arts around the region and the globe;
– A joint lobby and advocacy for regional support and recognition of the East African creative industry.
During day times, trainings, panel discussions and networking sessions will take place while in the evening showcases by selected bands from East Africa will follow.
From May 3rd to 6sth, the 6th edition of DOADOA will be held in Kampala at the Uganda National Museum.